Monday, August 19, 2013

Recovery Days

I always use Sunday as a day to recharge and try to align my training schedule so that my stretch/easy days line up after my long Saturday runs. This weekend was the perfect example: Sunday morning I went to my favorite yoga studio for a kick butt heated vinyasa flow class. My instructor is 8 months pregnant and glowing with no evidence of slowing down. She was focused on stretching out our hips and IT bands which all the runners in the room definitely needed! After class I took our puppy to my mom's house for some veggie burgers and cupcakes (a birthday tradition). I am a firm believer in everything in moderation!

I also bought some new running shorts this weekend because I needed more pairs that had pockets large enough to fit my keys and my gels for long runs. I had some lululemon gift cards kicking around from Christmas (I know...) and finally caved and got a pair of the "groovy run shorts" despite feeling insanely guilty for spending that much money (or gift card credit).  The pockets are great; there are 2 in the front and one zipper pocket that can fit an iphone in the back. But there is a problem. I wore my shorts for all of 3 hours and the granny panty lining on the inside caused some friction rub right at my
Groovy Run Shorts
inguinal crease. Um... my thighs are not that large. And their lining is supposedly chafe proof. I believe Matt Frazier (No Meat Athlete) said it best: "during a marathon, anything that can chafe, will". I bought these shorts for long runs! This is karma punishing me for spending so much on a pair of running shorts. 

Another part of my recovery "weekend" actually includes Monday too.  My first run after a long run is always a quick 2 miles. And by quick I use my definition which means 7:15 minute miles with a hill or two if possible. It's a way to kind of push myself but also to limit the distance so that I keep from getting injured. Which is unfortunately a necessary thing. But I survived week one post-injury with 7 weeks to go til the half marathon so these are all good things!
Sweating. Meh.
I also try to stock up on healthy foods for the week and this weekend was no exception. Tonight the boyfriend and I are dining on No Meat Athlete's Orzo with Cooked Citrus Veggies. Total yum. As a herbivore-omnivore couple I try to find meals that will both fill and satisfy the meat monster while complying with my standards. I recommend this meal not only because avocados are the planet's gift to humans but because it's quick and makes awesome leftovers. As a future MD (oh my word 8 months til I am Doctor Chelsea wait what?) I try really hard to practice what we preach and to keep each meal cheap, delicious, and healthy. Disregard above comment about cupcakes. 

Did I mention it was 90 degrees on my run today?

No comments:

Post a Comment